The two types of Law Enforcement positions available within the Sheriff's Office are Sheriff's Officer and Correctional Officer. The Minimum requirements to apply for a position is as follows:
(1) Must be 18 years of age;
(2) Citizen of the United States;
(3) Meet all of the necessary state pension system requirements, be of mental and bodily health sufficient to satisfy the Board of Trustees of the Police and Firemen’s Retirement System in New Jersey that would be eligible for membership in the retirement system;
(4) Able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently;
(5) Of good moral character and free from conviction of any crime constituting an indictable offense or any crime where offense involving moral turpitude;
(6) Able to successfully pass a written exam administered by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission and able to pass oral, physical and psychological examinations as may be approved by the Sheriff and meet essential job performance requirements;
(7) Possess a high school diploma or equivalent;
(8) A holder of a valid New Jersey Driver’s License.
(9) Meets all the requirements of NJSA; 40A:14-122 to NJSA; 40A:14.127.
To be eligible for either position, you must first file a LAW ENFORCEMENT SERIES APPLICATION with the New Jersey Civil Service Commission to take the examination for these positions.
We hire only from the pool of eligible candidates that are generated from this examination. Your score and ranking on this eligibility list will remain active for a period of two years and you can not retest until the expiration of that list.
To file for the examination, you must check with local Law Enforcement Agencies, Libraries or Post Offices between the months of October and December of each year. You can also log onto the New Jersey Civil Service Commission web site at www.state.nj.us/csc/ for job bulletins and announcements on Law Enforcement for these Titles.
You may also contact the New Jersey Civil Service Commission directly at their information number (609) 292-4144.
Any presently employed Law Enforcement personnel seeking to relocate to Cape May County and is interested in a position with our agency either as a Sheriff's Officer or Corrections Officer must contact the New Jersey Civil Service Commission for evaluation.
The announcement to take the test will be mailed to you by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission within about three months.
When you have you have completed the exam, the New Jersey Civil Service Commission will send you a notification advising you of the results and your placement position on the eligibility list.
When The Cape May County Sheriff’s Office has an available position we will call for a list of eligible candidates and you may be notified by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission depending on your placement on the list.
If you receive a notification of eligibility, follow the instructions carefully to notify this agency of your intent.
After you have completed the notification of intent, the Cape May County Sheriff’s Office will contact you with further instructions on our application process.
The Cape May County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports Equal Access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Sexual Orientation, Age, National Origin or Disability.
Last updated on: 04/29/2015