Frequently Asked Questions

Law Enforcement Division

(Law Enforcement Only) Procedure for background checks.

The Cape May County Sheriff's Office does not do Police Background Checks by telephone, fax or e-mail. All requests must be sent via US Postal Service with a return self addressed stamped envelope and a signed copy of the subjects records release form included.

Send to:

Cape May County Sheriff's Office

#4 Moore Rd. DN-301

Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Attn: I.D. Unit

Correctional Division

What is the address to send a letter to an inmate?

You can send a letter to an inmate at the following address:

Cape May County Correctional Center

C/O Inmate (John Doe)

# 4 Moore Road DN-501

Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Please note: Mail to an inmate must be letters only. Do not send cash, checks, stamps or pictures, etc. All mail is screened and these items will be removed and not forwarded to the inmate. Items will be discarded and not returned to sender.

Money Orders for Commissary accounts are no longer accepted. Please see the new process for putting money into an inmates commissary account.

What are the visiting hours for the Correctional Center?

The Cape May County Correctional Center has upgraded our online visitation program. As of May 10, 2016 we use Securus Technologies for our Online Inmate Visitation Services. Be sure to read the Rules and Instructions posted on the Correctional Center Visitation Page before coming to the Correctional Center.

Remote Online Visitation hours will be from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., 7 days a week. There will be no visits scheduled from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.. Each inmate in general population is allowed up to 3 online visits per day. Go to our Visitation Page for more information on how to schedule an ONLINE visitation.

Face to face visiting is longer conducted at the Cape May County Correctional Center. Visitation will be done by video terminals at the Correctional Center. Go to our Visitation Page for more information on hours and scheduling of an ONSITE visitation.  

Visitation is by appointment only for both online and on site.

Who do I call to find out what a bail is for an inmate?

To find out the bail status or condition of release on any inmate that is currently incarcerated in the Cape May County Correctional Center, View the Currently Incarcerated Inmates page of this website. This website is updated once, daily. If the person you are looking for is not listed then call the Sheriff's Correctional Division Jail Records at (609) 465-1233 for more information.

How do I put money into an Inmate's Commissary Account?

Depositing of money into an inmate's commissary account is done electronically. Go to the Commissary page for detailed information on how to use the electronic system. We no longer accept Money Orders.

Other FAQs

Can I obtain a Cape May County Sheriff's Office Patch?

Since the attack on 9-11, the Cape May County Sheriff's Office will not send agency patches through the mail. Only requests made in person will be honored and only if the patches are available.

Interested in becoming an Officer with the Cape May County Sheriff's Office?

The two types of Law Enforcement positions available within the Sheriff's Office are Sheriff's Officer and Correctional Officer.

To be eligible for either position, you must first file a LAW ENFORCEMENT SERIES APPLICATION with the New Jersey Civil Service Commission to take the examination for these positions...

For more information please go to our Employment Page.

Are you a tenant of a property that is in foreclosure?

Tenants cannot be evicted solely because the property where they live is in foreclosure or has been foreclosed. Go to our Sheriff's Sales Procedure page for information.

Revised on July 23, 2018

Back to the Top Sitemap


National Sheriff's Association__New Jersey Sheriff's Association__Accrediation Page